Artificial intelligence is already impacting numerous industries with smarter search engines, chatbots, and self-driving cars being just three examples. As AI continues to improve it will find uses in a multitude of industries. Not every implementation of AI will be readily apparent, many industries will use AI that you wouldn’t necessarily think would have a need for it. One such industry is broadcasting. AI has the potential to change broadcasting in several different ways. Here are examples of how AI will affect broadcasting in both traditional and streaming media broadcasting.
Five Ways AI Will Affect Broadcasting
A chief advantage of AI is that it can automate repetitive (but necessary) tasks. This saves the industry money and also saves on work hours. This allows workers in the broadcasting industry to focus their limited time and attention on more important matters. Four ways AI helps video broadcasting are:
- Ad Break Placement: advertisements on television are more complex than they first appear. Generally, ads have to be carefully placed in a broadcast by either breaking recorded programming into blocks or selecting appropriate ad placement points in a live broadcast. Application of AI can automatically select the best points to cut away from a program for advertisement. This reduces work and allows media companies to prepare broadcast ready content more quickly.
- Quality Control Monitoring: currently quality control systems allow the ability for detecting broadcasting errors such as video disruption, sound distortion, and other errors such as incorrect closed captioning. AI can enhance such systems by automatically reviewing QA tickets these systems create and verifying which need immediate review, which may simply be errors, and prioritizing existing issues by levels of severity.
- Improved Customer Navigation: not all improvements will be on the broadcaster’s side AI will also improve the user experience for customers as well. One way it can do so is by curating and suggesting content. By taking several factors into account about a customer’s viewing habits an AI can advise on content that correctly matches their taste and viewing habits. With so much content available the ability to narrow down suggestions is quite useful and gives customers advice on entertainment they may have been completely unaware of.
- Video Streaming Quality: another way AI technology improves the user experience is through optimizing the video quality of streaming content. Netflix, for example, uses AI on their video streaming platform to reduce stream buffering, video degradation, and sound errors. As many cable providers use streaming as part of their platform (chiefly through ‘On Demand’ services) this type of technology will see widespread use.
- Broadcast Compliance: AI technology improvements to speech recognition and translation can offer incredible advantages to those that are responsible for compliance. Broadcast compliance can be incredibly tricky to achieve when language and cultural nuances can lead to laws being broken and reputational damage to broadcasters and producers. Automated AI systems can learn from past datasets to quickly identify areas at risk to enable planning and mitigation prior to transmission. In todays world of broadcast anywhere these technologies can be incredibly useful to trap the equivalent of needles in haystacks.
To Learn More
AI will have a wide-reaching effect in many areas of business. As AI is an evolving and changing area of study it is important to stay current with industry news. Luckily there is much discussion and interest in the field itself so regular meetings, conferences, and events are becoming more common. One such event is the Business Breakfast on the 5th of May which will be focusing on AI and technology. Taking place at The Coppid Beech Hotel located at John Nike Way in Bracknell the event starts at 7 am and will cover a wide assortment of AI related topics. To purchase a ticket to this event click here.
The conference director for this event is Helena Brewer who has a very strong background in broadcasting. This article was written to not only promote the AI & Tech Business Breakfast event but also to demonstrate that we could have picked any sector to outline the impact that AI will have on it. Take action, no matter where you work and attend these events. Learn more and be prepared.